I have finished the head and the sonic lances. The lances I painted scorched brown, drybrushed shining gold, and then washed with a dark walnut wood stain. (Ace hardware brand-I think it smells better than other stains.) It give a good antique metal look.
Next I painted the pilot. He was harder to paint than I thought he would be. Oh well, most people won't even see him. He's done, thats about all I can say.
I wanted the head to compliment the work I have done on the shoulders, draw attention to itself, but not be too over the top. I have always liked star patterns for Eldar, who are the masters of the webways. I used a technique that works great for freehand painting. I drew the pattern out in pencil, painted it in, and then drew the center circle with black, fine tip sharpie. I also used the sharpie for the transition from the white to blue on the face. I still have some finishing touches to do, but he's almost done. (click on pics for closeup)
Monday, April 13, 2009
I put together my wraithlord a few months ago and thought I would only ever use the sword. After a few games, I decided that flexibility is always a plus. I already magnetized the weapon mount on the shoulder, and thought it would be great to have the option for two weapons. I took off the other shoulder mount months ago, and thought I would replace the sword hand with a gun hand. Luckily I pinned the sword hand on, and the super glue didn't work too well.
Next, I pulled out a nail we use to hang pictures in the house with a nice, broad head and cut the nail off to about 3-4 milimeters, drilled a hole in the hand, and glued it in. The magnet on my gun still seemed to spin around too much, so I put another head just in front of it. Looks like two heads are better than one.
Now I can mount whatever gun I want on this bad boy along with the shoulder mount. Now to paint him. (click on pics for a closeup view)