Saturday, February 20, 2010

Hive Tyrant conversion

I bought a Mcfarlane Dragon from my brother to turn into a winged hive tyrant.  He had a great model that fit the bill.  I wanted to do a lash whip, bone sword combo because it looks so sinister.  The double talons is probably the better tactical choice, but I wanted this guy to look mean, so I went with the lash whip.
 
  
  
  
The bone sword is an actual bone I found in the dirt a few years back, when I worked construction.  I hope it is a turkey bone, it doesn't look too human.


The bottom part is the tail of a termagant that was sacrificed in making the tervigon.   I added a small bass guitar string (the g-string) from the sword to his wrist to make it look more attached/organic.


The lash whip is made from the ends of the bass guitar strings, the E, A, and D string.  These are the ends that you cut off when you put the strings on the guitar.  I then just added on some extra trygon spikes on the end.  I drilled into his arm a bit to make it look like the whip was part of him.

Here is a pic for scale.  Kinda looks like St. George vs the Dragon, 40k style.  You can see I used raptor1313's idea to fill in a lot of the neck with hot glue before adding green stuff.  I have since greenstuffed the neck, sword, and lash whips.  I covered the ends of the whips to bulk up the last part of the wire where the coil stopped.  It also helped to make the spikes fit on the whip a little better.  I also finished the base, and have started the painting on the tyrant.  Hopefully he'll be done soon.  

He is rather big, but I know he will draw attention one way or another, so bring it on. 

5 comments:

  1. That definately looks more effective than your standard Tyrant. Just imagine the looks on your opponents faces when you pu it on the table and they ask WTF IS THAT!!!??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am liking the draconic feel of your tyrant, I think it gives him a commanding presence in a swarm of space-monsters. It brings to mind "the serpent in the Void".

    ReplyDelete
  3. There he is! Looks good, Royce. I love the wicked whip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just stopping by to say hi

    ReplyDelete
  5. im loving the coversion there it is sick!! everyone'll be running from it!!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors