Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fun with magnets

One of the hardest things to do is to glue a weapon choice onto a leader that has the option to have multiple different weapon options. Magnets Rule. Now you can give your character a diferent weapon each day. My wife says its just like barbie how you can change her outfit. Uh-huh. Exactly.
I like to start the hole with a large round bur and clean up the edges with a conical bur. These are dental burs and work great in a dremel.
Once the hole is big enough, I always dry fit it with the magnet on the end of a file.
Once it fits, then I place a small bit of green stuff in the hole, and force the magnet on top. Green stuff works 100 times better than super glue for magnets.
Then I place a second magnet on the first, making sure the polarity is correct, and then put green stuff on the weapon arm, and push it onto the magnet. This pulls the magnet off, and then I shape the green stuff on the weapon and magnet.
Rinse and Repeat and you have all the weapons you need for your model.I like using two smaller magnets, especially on metal figures. I end up cutting away too much figure, or not enough pull with a nail or screw head and one magnet.

4 comments:

  1. Nice job, excellent tip on using greenstuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the green stuff recommendation might be the best thing I've heard in ages. I magnetize my bases, and am constantly re-gluing magnets which have popped off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice job with the magnets... what size are those? I would love to magnetize my figures (already do with my tanks)... but I am having a hard time figuring out which magnets to use for figures.

    - thanks and keep up the great work!

    -d

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and start magnetizing stuff. Just got a forge world plasma cannon for my dread and the hole size just does not match up like the plastic pieces which allowed easy swapping of the arms.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors