Friday, March 20, 2009

Magnets pt 2


I had a question about the size of magnets I use which is vitaly important. I bought my magnets from K&J magnetics. It took me three orders before I got the right size of magnet. The smallest I got on the top of the pile is 1/8" x 1/32" work great for figure arms. One magnet on the arm/weapon, and one in the model works great.
The next size up I use is 6mm x 2mm. I used these for magnetizing weapons on my warwalkers. I also used one on the weapon and one on the weapon mount. These are pretty powerful, and just a magnet and a nail or screw would have probably worked better. I have broken my warwalker putting these weapons on, you have to be pretty careful.
The largest size, I have yet to find a use for. These things would hold your nine-year old to the kitchen fridge. Getting two of these apart is rather hard. I will definatley use a nail or screw with the magnet for these larger ones. I was planning on using them for turrets or something.
I have loved using magnets on my models. Whenever I play a game, I can switch out the weapons. It does make painting take a little longer though.

3 comments:

  1. awesome... I picked up magnets from K&M but was never quite sure which to order - thanks!

    -d

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love magnetizing things. It's much more satisfying to know my options are still open. My carnifices, hive tyrant, wave serpents, flying bases, etc all are fully magnetic. I look forward to seeing more of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks sooo cool.

    Keep'em away from disks!

    Stop by & say 'hi'
    http://wackocrazy.blogspot.com/

    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Think Spring!
    ~☼♥ Starbender ♥☼~

    ReplyDelete

Contributors