Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Shrinky Dink Shoulder Pads


I did a couple of test shrinks to get a better calculation on how much it shrinks.  My 87 mm piece shrunk to 33 mm.  So not exactly 3 to 1.  I also printed out a wolf picture and used the photocopier to size it up a bunch of times.  Then I found a wolf head that was close to the right size.  I cut the shrinky dink out the size you see in the picture.  After shrinking,  you can see the size of the wolf head.  My only problem is the thickness of the wolf head is a bit too much.   Sorry the next pic is a bit out of focus, but you get the idea.

I like the detail that is preserved and the ease of production, but don't like the width.  So what do you think?  Too thick or not too bad.  I am undecided.  Maybe green stuff would be better, and save shrinky dinks for vehicle icons.  Let me know what you think.

5 comments:

  1. I think the thickness is fine...
    Look at the Black Templar logo on the right shoulder in this pic,

    http://counterfett.blogspot.com/2010/10/counts-as-quandary-where-do-you-draw.html

    Seems like some of the icons could have a significant amount of relief. Alternatively, if the thickness is bugging you, should be a small matter to quickly sand a bit of the rear side off with a coarse grit sandpaper, and voila!

    Terrific idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any way you could get hold of thinner shrinky dink? It looks real slick except the thickness. Any chance it could be cut in half? (haven't ever dealt with the material myself)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. There are no thinner shrinky dinks. They start out very thin, about the thickness of paper. It says it shrinks about 3x and gets about 9x thicker. I think the sandpaper is a good idea. I thought about using my dremel on it, but I could see myself either cutting my fingers, or shooting the icon across the room.

    I do have some shrinky dink material that you can print on, which will make the process even faster. That will have to be the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to buy my kids (for me) a Shrinky Dink! :-) Looks like a great toy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Icons. I would try to sand them down a little. You could even glue them on and then sand the edges, leaving the middle thicker than the sides.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors